What would you tell your younger self?
Have you ever thought about what you would say to your younger self if you had the opportunity?
If I only knew then what I know now, life would have been so much easier. But it’s the journey that got me to where I am today so no regrets. And I have to say, I’m pretty freaking happy with who I am and my life today.
But sometimes, on a bad day, I forget how far I’ve come on my own journey to healing and happiness. And then I think back.
Things I would say to my younger self:
- You will be heartbroken when your first boyfriend dumps you. It will be one of the best things that ever happens to you.
- Take more chances. Failing is not a reflection of your worth.
- Life will be overwhelming, painful, and difficult at times. Trust your instincts. You’ve got this!
- Go to the gym and learn about fitness earlier…fyi, you get osteoporosis later…
- Don’t be ashamed of your vulnerability. It is your greatest strength. It will teach you how to reach out. To create resiliency and boundaries. To have empathy. To love and be loved.
- Don’t be afraid to say what you want. Your needs, wants and desires matter.
- At some point you meet a guy at a nightclub…don’t go there.
- Hard truth, you were boring when you were younger. You were too busy thinking you had to take care of everyone else, so you forgot yourself. You thought you didn’t matter. Bullshit. You always mattered. Get a life!
- Know that each person has their own life experience. It shapes their perspective, their communication style and how they cope. Don’t automatically jump to the conclusion that you did something wrong when things go sideways. It’s not always about you.
- Know that we are the only ones who can make ourselves happy.
- Stop being so hard on yourself. Perfection is a coping mechanism and to strive for it only guarantees you pain in one form or another.
- You are enough.
- The journey to healing and finding yourself was worth it!!!!!!!
What would you say to your younger self?